Monday, September 17, 2012

Silver Taps (A Journal Entry)

Journal Entry from 9/4/12

Silver Taps took place tonight at 2230 hours (10:30 pm).  After Breakaway I walked to the plaza with Callie, Mandy, and Hannah.  Once we passed the MSC we fell silent.  All lights were off save a few to see by.  We were near Hart Hall.  Everyone was silent as the students assembled around the plaza.  The Ross Volunteers marched in, fired a 21 gun salute, and stood still.  The bugler(s) played Silver Taps.  Once to the North, once to the West, and once to the South.  A cadet in front of me help salute the whole time.  When it ended, everyone silently left.  Mandy and I gave Callie and and Hannah hugs and walked back to our dorms.  I walked Mandy to the front of Underwood (saw Michael Waggoner on the way) and gave her a hug and walked back to my dorm.  I still haven't spoken.  It was so solemn, yet in a good way.  It gives me a lot of comfort to know I'm part of this Aggie family that is so full of respect.  I don't know if I will call Mom and Dad tonight.  I will write them though.  I pray for the families of the lost Aggies and hope God works goodness through this tragedy.

-End of Entry

Recently, with my father undergoing triple bypass surgery, I was genuinely worried for him.  Not that I haven't experienced death in my family before, even of very close family.  It just didn't seem like it could be his time yet.  I sometimes forget that God's divine plan doesn't line up with our futile perception.  I knew I wasn't ready to lose my father, that my family wasn't.  I know the day will come when I will softly call "here"for him at Muster, but I thank God that it was not this time. 

When I prayed that he be kept safe I prayed that God would not let his work be finished.  And it didn't feel like it was finished.  God was able to give me hope because part of me knew that my father was meant to stay with us for a while longer.

Lord, thank you for preserving him.  Please watch over him as he recovers and help him to sing your praises until you call him home.  Please don't call him home soon, though.


 

No comments: