Thursday, May 31, 2012

I Can't Feel My Finger...

So recently I got hooked on something that has numbed my fingers.  No, it isn't drugs (c'mon now, y'all know me better than that).  Recently I discovered that you can cut designs out of card stock, glue them on top of each other, and when they dry, use them as keychains or even necklace pendants.  Pretty cool, right? 

Well, in order to cut these small, intricate designs I employed the use of an X-ACTO knife.  I cut out 14 card stock shapes that night.  In order to cut them well I had to press down pretty hard.  This resulted in calloused, sore fingers the next day and numb, sensory deprived fingers the days after.

Here's the point:

Because I cannot really feel things with my right index finger at the moment, I have begone to discover all the things I actually do touch with it.  I find it ironic that until I couldn't feel what I was touching, I never noticed what I touched.  It shows that if we get used to something it is no longer obvious to us.  It no longer catches our attention.

Here's the application:

As believers we are constantly surprised by God both in every day life and in His Word.  Every time you dive into a passage, you will find something new.

Also, we cannot get used to the moral depravities of this world.  As Christians, we are called to be disgusted by sin and distance ourselves from it.  In order for this to happen, we cannot allow sin to become comfortably familiar with us.  If this happens, sin will seep into our lives unnoticed and we will allow our standards, and the standards of things (or people) around us to decrease dramatically.

We are called to be in the world, not of the world.  The evil should shock us and God's good should pleasantly surprise us and leave us searching after Him.  The more we focus on Him, the more obviously vile sin will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. At times, I feel crazy because it seems no one believes the way I do. It is great to be reminded that, like you said, we are to be in the world but not of it. It also amazes me that you were able to see all this from a numb finger :)

Sam Wick said...

Seeing it is easier than doing it though. Every day is a battle with the world. The narrow gate isn't easy to pass through so it's good SOMEONE has led the way.