Monday, December 22, 2008

The Doctor's

I went to the doctor's office today. I needed a tetanus shot. I hadn't had a shot in seven years or so. I was thinking of that needle goring my skin and injecting a sample of tetanus into my body. I thought of the fact that I was being stabbed by a pointy needle. I thought of the pain that would result.

Then, when the time came, it was over. The nurse said that I would have a sore arm for two days or so. Pain passes quickly, but leaves a mark. The same is true of emotion. Hurtful words sting and then leave a bruise for a long time. Friendships broken are hardly stitched together, but they don't happen often. Friends are the strongest earthly bonds.

When you lay the pages of two phonebooks together the bond is almost indestructible. Aside from burning the two books , the only way I know how to separate the books is with two tanks, pulling them of coarse. Friendships should be like the phonebooks.

2 comments:

Render MoonArrow said...

You watched MythBusters!

And yes, emotions and things other peoples say do hurt and then bruise later on. Excellent observation!

Hannah Banana said...

I knew a man once who could rip a phone book in half with his bare hands.

*eyes widen* Bare. Hands.


But that's true and what you said is indeed a fact of life. Nicely done.